Monday, March 24, 2014

Things I Accidently Taught Myself While Teaching Kids

There are a lot of times during speech sessions I will be working with a child and make a passing statement to them that causes me to think, "Man. I think I meant to tell myself that."

Here's a list of semi-profound statements I have accidentally made while working on some kind of mundane puzzle that made me stop and think.


"That piece doesn't go there. You can't force it to fit. If you push too hard, the whole thing might break apart."
Say hello to the queen of, "I am going to force this to work and if it doesn't, I will just keep trying."

"You're not using your thinking brain." 
When am I ever using my thinking brain?

"You need to wait."
Why wait when I can exhaust myself by doing anything in my power to force something to come to fruition?

"Just because we are scared of something doesn't mean there is something to be scared of."
I am the adult version of the little girl who is scared to use the other toilet in the adjoining room because one time it made a really loud noise that scared me sh*tless. No pun intended.

"Sometimes friends don't want to share or play with us, and that makes us sad. That's okay. We can find something different to do that is just as fun."
It's okay to be bummed out when people don't share our passions for things. Do your own thing and the people who think you're super awesome will support you in what you love.

"I need you to calm down and then use your words, please."
The best way to be heard: express your needs simply and concisely when you achieve a moment of clarity following an emotional experience.

"What's important in this picture? Is it this tree? Or this person in the middle."
What's really important in this situation you've somehow managed to blow out of proportion? Are you focusing on a tree in the background when the main idea is right in front of you?


We all still have lessons to learn as adults. I'm sure I heard these very things at one point in my childhood. I'm just thankful I get to hear them again, because they still make me stop and think.

Is there anything you say to your kids that you are really saying to yourself?

2 comments:

  1. I teach myself how to be a parent after counseling with parents after every session. I've always told myself to write these tips down for when I have children of my own haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Emilee? I should be fully equipped when the time comes...should be...

      Delete