Sunday, March 2, 2014

How To Get Your Motivation Back (Therapy-Wise)


Across my adult life thus far, since graduating high school, I have struggled with continuous low-grade depression. It affects me to varying degrees daily, and often I feel like my attitude towards work and life and general can be affected by things as insignificant as whether the sun is literally shining or not. I'm working on this.

One thing I continually come back to the drawing board on is how to re-gain my motivation in regards to work. Some people may find this strange; after all, you went to the effort of getting a Master's degree in your field, you must love your job! And I do. But home health can be very isolating; you have a lot of time to yourself to think; a.k.a., ruminate on your problems. Long drives between sessions become pressure cookers for insecure thoughts. Or Britney Spears karaoke sessions. It really is either or. Anyways, this isolation and time spent driving can lead to a monotony that slowly drives you insane. I am sure there are plenty of home health therapists that travel very short distances between clients but I am not that SLP. My closest client is 8 minutes away and my furthest is an hour and fifteen minutes.

However, there are a few things that help me find the joy in what I do on days when I just don't know if I can handle another 30 minutes working on past tense verbs again with the little guy I have seen for several years straight. When 30 minutes seem like the longest 30 minutes of my life. One of them is telling myself that I'm a badass. A la Leslie Knope.



On top of that, here are some of my go-to strategies:

1) Take 10 minutes to print out a new themed cut/paste activity and make enough copies for all clients. Check out Teachers Pay Teachers and bring one new activity or toy to therapy today. 

Seriously. Stop using that same deck of Super Duper cards that only makes your kids cry and you want to hit your head against the wall. Even typing in "preschool March cut/paste" into Google can give me something quick to print out so I don't have to face the monotony of my usual go-to materials.

2) TREAT YO SELF.




Bring a new snack (aka bribe yourself with food, usually works for me) or stop at Starbucks for a midday pick-me-up. Being able to look forward to a treat or something relaxing in the midst of a busy day will help carry you through. I like to download The Jillian Michaels Show podcasts. New podcasts automatically download every Tuesday and therefore every Tuesday I actually look forward to my long drives so I can listen to this show. 

3) Emotionally re-invest in your clients.

Stop thinking about that one client as the 3-year old who's been working on past tense verbs for like forever. Instead, sit down and make a new game plan. Imagine this child finally mastering their goals and becoming functionally communicative in the way you want them to be. Remember their names. Enjoy their personalities. Think about them as if they were your own children before you scold them for scooting around the living room every second of the session. Love on them. 

4) Come up with a new game plan. 

In grad school when I was an SLPA and had only 3-4 clients, I used to come home and think through each child, their deficits, and formulate how I could use very effective activities to get them in and out of therapy fast. I had a lot more time on my hands, obviously. Regardless, consider coming up with three new activities to target goals you're just over, so you can feel more effective during therapy and break up the monotony.

5) Clean out your car. 

Home health speechies, I know you feel me on this one. Hey, who knew you had these auditory awareness dry erase worksheets in there?! It's amazing what you can forget you're lugging around after weeks of dragging toys in and out of your trunk and backseat. Pull everything out, take an inventory, make sure you're carrying only what you need, and then replace worn-out toys and activities with new and exciting ones. 

Also throw out all those Starbucks cups and fast food wrappers. That will be helpful in maintaining your sanity. 


I hope some of these ideas help shake things up for you. And when you're all alone in your car, drinking an Icee and eating another bean burrito from Taco Bell, driving an hour to your next session...know I'm here for you, girl. 

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment