Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Concrete vs. Abstract WH- Questions

So here's the dealio.

I learned something during my final semester of grad school internship in a Spanish-only Early Childhood Education school that I still think about on a daily basis.

And I wanna break it down for ya'll.

And when I say break "it" down, I mean this WH- question business.

Now I'm sure this is old news to most of you, but somehow I managed to get through almost the entirety of my SLP education thinking there was only one type of WH- question and one way to write these goals.

"Child will answer WH- questions with a complete sentence with minimal verbal/visual cues and 80% accuracy."

Or if you wanted to get really fancy:

"Child will answer 'what' and 'where' questions with a complete sentence and minimal verbal/visual cues and 80% accuracy."

Most therapists are familiar with designating the appropriate type of WH- question depending on the client. I'm not working on "WHY" questions per say with my 3-year old's, per say.

However, I was encouraged back in grad school to think of targeting "questions" within a different kind of hierarchy; that being:

1) YES/NO questions to accept/reject ("Do you want the car?");

2) YES/NO questions to affirm/deny ("Is this a car?" or on more advanced level, "Do we fly cars?");

3) Concrete WH-questions ("What is this?" "A car."); and finally,

4) Abstract WH- questions ("What do you ride in to get to school everyday?" "A car.")

As much as I love Super Duper and Linguisystems and all the products they churn out, every time I download an app for targeting WH- questions they all seem to target the more abstract spectrum of questions and geared more for the elementary crowd. As I am primarily a preschool/early intervention therapist, I needed to find some materials that brought things back down a notch to the emerging abstract level for my little guys.

So I made this. So fancy. So excite.




This is a set of 15 "WHERE" question cards with matching realistic photo prompts to allow you to provide as much assistance as desired or needed. They're sitting over in my Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) store if you'd like to take a look. 

I am super excited to start learning how to make more of my own therapy products that fit my individual needs as a therapist. Let me know if you decide to try these cards out yourself and if you find them helpful. I also plan on creating other WH- question card sets for "WHAT", "WHO", etc. so if anyone is interested in those too give me a shout-out.

I mustache you a question: WHERE do you like to go for your WH- question targeting needs?:) 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your blog posts! I'm learning from you! :-)

    ReplyDelete