Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I'm in a love/hate relationship.


I'm torn, Medicaid.

I love you, but I hate you.

I love your reimbursement rates, but I hate the way you don't listen to anything I say.

Doesn't matter how good my narrative is, you'll glide right over all that functional implication talk and zero in on my standard scores.

I mean, aren't I more than a number to you?

All I want is a little validation here.

The biggest complaint I have is your wishy-washy ways. You change the rules of our relationship faster than I can say compliance.

I guess the biggest elephant in the room would have to be a little something called...Home Exercise Program (HEP). You want me to implement one, document it constantly, and if I don't change things up frequently enough, you get bored with me and slap me on the wrist.

I need a solution. I'm not saying we need to break up...I just need to simplify the process so I can find "me" again.

That being said, here's my new plan:


This 11-page .pdf includes parent/caregiver hand-outs for seven common goal areas for preschool and early receptive/expressive language skills.

I also created a HEP Data Log that can be filled out by you and the caregiver on a session-by-session basis to track weekly HEP implementation. 

These hand-outs include practical suggestions for functional, in-home HEP activities for the following goals:

- Requesting
- Body Parts
- Clothing 
- Early Prepositions (in/out, on/off)
- Advanced Prepositions (under, behind, in front of, next to)
- Vocabulary (Nouns)
- Descriptors (Adjectives) 

All you have to do is make a copy of the data log for each child, give the parent a corresponding hand-out, and circle an activity.

Voila- simplified HEP implementation.  Check it out HERE

Please let me know if you check out this hand-out packet or have any questions!:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment