Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Too Many Nacho Cheese Chalupas, Not Enough Therapy Organization

Whew, the past two weeks have been something! But I return to you as LD, M.S.,CCC-SLP, finally shaking off that silly SLP-CF or CF-SLP title, whichever one it really was the past eleven months.

My ASHA certification and state licensure took a little more time to process than I expected so I ended up with a week and a half gap in therapy, which amazingly has flown by due to the fact I have started an Etsy shop and have kept myself busing crafting away. It is called "SLP Accessories" (etsy.com/slpaccessories) and I have re-discovered my love of paint and hand-stiching through designing custom SLP accessories such as keychains, pillows, and the like. My items are also great for general ed teachers and are customizable. Some of my favorite pieces include:


"The WH- Question Pillow"


"Love You" IPA Keychain/Gift Tag


And while this has all been good and fun, I am struck with the realization of how little therapy-related projects I have tackled in the meantime. Don't get me wrong, I have kept myself busy the past two weeks. So busy, in fact, I couldn't really tell you where all that time has gone, which is maybe what concerns me the most. 

I can tell you, however, that the Taco Bell drive-through has seen me at least 5 times in the past week. Nacho cheese beef chalupa, por favor. 

Despite this fact, I was able to finally set up a filing system for my articulation materials and was able to see what sounds I have the most materials for and vice versa. "/k/" won out by a long shot, unsurprisingly, as the majority of my caseload is 2-4 year-olds. "/j" as in "juice" (excuse my lack of the true IPA symbol) has gotten the least love, unsurprisingly as well, as I don't believe I have ever targeted this sound directly in therapy. 


Next up on the agenda is organizing the mountain of language materials I have stored in a huge box by my closet. As I do not have a classroom and only a one-bedroom apartment, sometimes storage is an issue. I worry that as my toy collection and printables accumulate I may find myself sleeping in a self-created preschool, which may already be happening. 

So there you have it. I am back albeit slow moving. Hey, I ditched the chalupas today and made myself a tuna sandwich. That's a start, right? I may have been stuck in a rut the past couple of weeks, but it's time I pulled myself out. 

Do you have any strategies for pulling yourself out of therapy or life ruts?  Let me know in the comments below. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment