Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Scoopin' Up Final Consonants! {+ cat-assisted therapy organization}

Hello, all!

It's been a minute, I know. I'm sure you guys are all caught up in summer-time therapy as am I! What have I been up to exactly? Well for one, I have been organizing the mountain of therapy activities, worksheets, and resources in my bedroom. It isn't the most convenient set-up, but hopefully in a few months here I will have a second bedroom to transition into an office. Until then, I work/sleep/watch Gilmore Girls all in the same place.

Ava, my kitty cat, helping me organize my Spanish articulation worksheets.

How are cute are these folders?:) 

Part of organizing my Spanish articulation materials was challenging in that I had to re-research all of my Spanish phonemes and organize them in order of typical acquisition, which was confusing as I usually have English on the brain. 



At one point in going through all the paperwork, I found the therapy plan I wrote from my first day as an SLPA back in 2011. I had a moment thinking about how far I've come. Also thinking about how much more prepared I was back then, haha. 

Last week my theme for therapy was ICE CREAM!:) 

We talked about related verbs (melt, freeze, lick, etc.), watched Youtube videos of ice cream melting, and used my new "Scoopin' Up Final Consonants!" packet! 

Find it HERE on TpT:) 

I created this packet because I have a couple kids with several phonological processes right now, namely final consonant deletion across multiple sound classes. They are able to focus on suppressing one final consonant in a given phrase but when multiple final consonants come into play something gets left out. I created an activity where the kids can combine words with various final sounds and then pronounce them one after the other in a phrase structure ("On this cone...") with increasing speed to aid in development of motor planning. 


The packet contains stimulus pictures for phonemes /n/, /t/, and /k/ on vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice cream scoops. The stimulus pictures range from 1-3 syllables for the greatest variety of targets and difficulty. 

Overall, there are three parts to the packet:

1) Auditory Discrimination: 
    The packet comes with 3 sorting mats for phonemes /n/, /k/, and /t/, which you can see above. I mixed all     the stimulus pictures up and then produced each word and asked my kiddo to identify the final sound by       adding it the correct cone. I also purposefully deleted final consonants in several of my own productions to     see if my kiddo could catch it to help foster self-monitoring skills.

2) Production Practice: 
    When all the cones were finished, we drilled all the words at phrase level using the cones. Then, my kiddo    received his own "final consonant cone" for which he requested ice cream scoops from all different final     
   sounds to glue to his paper. After he was finished, he "read" his entire cone while self-monitoring for final 
   sounds in connected speech.

3) Pattern Practice:
    There is an additional worksheet that includes 4 cones that have various ice cream scoop "patterns"         
    (pink, white, pink, what comes next?) that the kids can complete and then produce the colors of the               scoops in order for more motor planning practice. 


My kiddo had a lot of fun writing the final consonant in each word on each scoop as he went to help prompt himself. :)

I also used this packet for my language kiddos in that we worked on naming each stimulus picture/scoop, requesting them to glue to our ice cream cones, using expanded language to describe objects, talk about preferred flavors, etc. It's just an all-around win in my book in that I can take it to nearly all my sessions and make it work.

That being said, I am having a FLASH SALE on this packet right now along with my Summer "On the Road Again: Beach Edition Activities for Artic and Language" in my TpT store until the end of the day tomorrow! 
That means you can get both of these great packets for only .80 each and have activities for next 2 weeks ready to go. :)

I'd love for you to check them out!


What products are you loving for summer? Did anyone else utilize an ice cream theme?:)

No comments:

Post a Comment