Monday, June 2, 2014

Sank/Sunk, Whatever

Okay I'm back for a second post of the day with a really easy activity and FREE printable you can do to work on summertime verbs and past tense!



Sometimes you get really excited about an activity and then begin second-guessing it completely, like I did today. Whew. Dodged a bullet there.

The game is basically the whole "throw stuff in a bucket and see whether it sinks or floats" situation, and very simple to tote around.

All you'll need is:

A bucket
Water
A "surprise" bag filled with various age-appropriate toys; I included balls of different weights, cars, plastic eggs, pennies, etc.

I first introduced the visuals (flashcards included in the download) for "sank" and "floated" and explained the difference, how some things stay at the top of the water and some go to the bottom. We talked about how generally things that are heavy will sink and things that are lighter will float. Which led me to a very philosophical question...am I holding on to things that are too heavy that one day may cause me to sink? 

Alright, LD. Let's take a moment. Refocus.

Anyways, my kids thought it was hilarious to drop things into the bowl and pull them back out while getting their hands and clothes a little wet (which I attempted to minimize). I mostly focused on language scripting with my little ones such as "put it in", or with a more advanced kiddo, "I put it in the bowl." I also let them play in the water with the object and just have fun while exploring the different properties going on in there.


For my oldest kid (who is exiting kindergarten), we filled in the following worksheet and then read each sentence back. He loved being able to spell several of the words independently (car, ball, etc.) and then it was great to work on sight words/sound correspondences as part of targeting past tense for my own purposes. Triple/quadtruple win!


Grab the visuals and sentence structuring worksheet for free HERE in my TpT store! 

*Updated June 3rd to include Spanish versions of both the worksheet and visuals!*

And just for the record, it's definitely "sank". 

2 comments:

  1. I thought about it on my drive home too. I continued to think of scenarios/sentences where I would use sank/sunk and basically confused myself even more. Glad to know I didn't lead you the wrong way with my 50/50 guess on "sank" haha. Great activity! I'll definitely try this this over the summer with my kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm not inventing anything new here but they thought it was the best thing ever. Thanks for being my go-to grammar SLP!:)

      Delete